You share your personal information with us when you become a client, when you register with our online services, subscribe for our newsletter or other marketing information, complete an online form, buy our products, open an Account or contact us through one of our channels. Hive Class shall not sell any PII of adults or children.
“Personal Information” means any information concerning a natural person, which, because of name, number, personal mark, or other identifier, can be used to identify such natural person. Personal Information includes all personally identifiable information of children.
“Private Information” means either (i) personal information consisting of any information in combination with one or more of the following data elements, when either the data element or the combination of personal information plus the data element is not encrypted, or is encrypted with an encryption key that has also been accessed or acquired:
(i) Social Security number;
(ii) Driver’s license number or non-driver identification card number;
(iii) Account number, credit or debit card number, in combination with any required security code, access code, password or other information that would permit access to an individual’s financial account;
(iv) Account number, credit or debit card number, if circumstances exist wherein such number could be used to access an individual’s financial account without additional identifying information, security code, access code, or password;
(v) Biometric information, meaning data generated by electronic measurements of an individual’s unique physical characteristics, such as a fingerprint, voice print, retina or iris image, or other unique physical representation or digital representation of biometric data which are used to authenticate or ascertain the individual’s identity; or
(vi) A username or e-mail address in combination with a password or security question and answer that would permit access to an online account.
Private Information does not include publicly available information which is lawfully made available to the general public from federal, state, or local government records.
By processing we mean everything we can do with this data such as collecting, recording, storing, adjusting, organizing, using, disclosing, transferring or deleting it.
We follow the NISO Consensus Principles on User’s Digital Privacy in Library, Publisher and Software-Provider Systems (“NISO Privacy Principles”).
- Information Collection
- Information Usage
- Information Security
- Sharing of Information
- Protecting Children’s Privacy
- Changes and Updates
- Contacting Us
When you use Hive Class services, we may ask you to provide certain PII to obtain our products or use our services. Our third-party partners may provide PII to us with your consent. For example, we may ask for information when you register to create an account, update your information, sign up for a membership or subscription, use certain features, purchase products or services, enter into sweepstakes or other promotions, register or participate in a competition, fill out a survey, request client support, or otherwise communicate with us.
If you are connecting with us through a third-party partner, such as an educational institution or a library system, we may be given your name, educational institution identification number, library barcode number or library pin, with your explicit consent. You may access your account at any time.
If you are connecting directly with us and not through a third-party partner, such as an educational institution or a library system, we (or our service providers or business partners) may collect information that relates to you, including PII, such as your name, e-mail address, telephone number, phone number, mailing address, date of birth, gender, and demographic information, information about your interests and hobbies, including sports, health, physical or behavioral characteristics, or other demographic information, as well as photos, videos, and other user-generated content. If you are accessing our Website platform via another means, such as via a library system, then we will not collect this information from you or receive it from our third-party partner.
Information You Provide When You Make a Purchase or Subscribe to our Service. If you make a purchase directly from us or subscribe directly to our Website platform, you will be required to provide a credit/debit card number and related financial information (such as CVV, expiration date, and billing address), or other payment information (such as via PayPal or Apple Pay), depending on the form of payment you choose. If you are accessing our Website platform via another means, such as via a library system, then we will not collect this information from you or receive it from our third-party partner.
Information You Provide Through Social Media. If you are connecting directly with us, and not through a third-party partner, such as a library system, you may also be given the option to link to your Facebook or other social media accounts through Hive Class services. When you do, we may automatically receive certain information from you based upon your privacy settings on those sites. This may include, but may not be limited to, name, user-name, demographic information, updated address or contact information, location, interests, and publicly-observed data, such as from social media and online activity. If you are accessing our Website platform via another means, such as via a library system, then we will not collect this information from you or receive it from our third-party partner.
Information Collected Automatically. Whenever you visit or interact with us, we and any third-party advertisers and/or service providers may use a variety of technologies that automatically or passively collect information about your online activity. This information may be collected in the following ways:
Geolocation Information. We may collect information about the location of your device when you access or use Hive Class services. In addition, if you choose to turn on your Bluetooth, Wi-Fi or other geolocation functionality when you use our mobile applications, we may collect and use your geolocation information.
Third Party Service Providers. We may use third party service providers to support Hive Class services. Some of these service providers may use technology such as cookies, web beacons, pixel tags, log files, or other technologies to receive, collect, and store information on our behalf.
For How Long Do We Keep Your PII? We are only allowed to keep your PII for as long as it is necessary for the purpose we initially required it. We may also archive your PII. The appropriate retention periods for each category of data are based on the requirements of applicable data protection laws and the purpose for which the information is collected and used, taking into account legal and regulatory requirements to retain the information for a minimum period, limitation periods for taking legal action, good practice and Hive Class business purposes.
We may use the information about you in a variety of ways:
For Client Service and Transaction Purposes, such as to:
- respond to your questions or requests and provide client service;
- manage your account and registration;
- troubleshoot issues, bugs or defects related to your account or activities;
- validate, confirm, verify, deliver, and track your order (including to arrange for shipping, handle returns and refunds, and contact you about your orders, including by telephone), and send you related information, coupons, products or samples;
- verify your identity or communicate with you about your activities with respect to Hive Class services;
- to use and disclose your credit, debit or payment card or other financial information only to process payments and prevent fraud;
- develop new products or services and to enhance current products and services;
- protect the security or integrity of Hive Class services and our business, such as by protecting against and preventing fraud, unauthorized transactions, claims and other liabilities, and managing risk exposure, including by identifying potential hackers and other unauthorized users; and
- for other purposes as disclosed at the time you provide your personal information or otherwise with your consent.
For Advertising Customization and Analytics Purposes, such as to:
- perform market research, understand the effectiveness of our competition or promotions and Hive Class services analytics and operations;
- personalize and improve Hive Class services and our products, services, offers and advertising made available on or outside Hive Class services (including on other sites/ applications that you visit). For example, we may provide personalized or localized content, recommendations, features, and provide content or features that match your interests and preferences;
- provide you with customized content, advertisements, offers and promotions offered by Hive Class or on behalf of our partners and affiliates, and provide news and other information we think will be of interest to you on Hive Class services, in emails and across third-party websites;
- link or combine with information we receive from others to help understand your needs, use for interest-based or targeted advertising or re-targeting on your computers or other devices, and to provide you with better service; and
- communicate with you, either directly or through one of our partners (e.g., through Facebook Custom Audience, Google Client Match, etc.) for Hive Class marketing and promotional purposes via emails, notifications, or other messages, consistent with any permissions you may have communicated to us.
How do we protect your information?
We have implemented commercially reasonable physical, technical, and administrative controls and procedures to protect the information that we collect. Unfortunately, no method of storage or transmission over the Internet can be 100% secure, and so we cannot guarantee that your information will not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. Please help keep your account safe by using a strong password.
We use encryption technology to protect data while in motion or in our custody from unauthorized disclosure using a technology or methodology specified by the secretary of the United States Department of Health and Human Services in guidance issued under Section 13402(H)(2) of Public Law 111-5.
All transactions are processed through a gateway provider and are not stored or processed on our servers.
SHARING OF INFORMATION
Educational Institutions. If we enter into a contract with an educational institution, we shall (1) limit internal access to education records to those individuals that are determined to have legitimate educational interests; (2) not use the education records for any other purposes than those explicitly authorized in our contract; (3) except for our authorized representatives, to the extent they are carrying out the contract, not disclose any personally identifiable information to any other party: (i) without the prior written consent of the parent or eligible student; or (ii) unless required by statute or court order and the party provides a notice of the disclosure to the department, district board of education, or institution that provided the information no later than the time the information is disclosed, unless providing notice of the disclosure is expressly prohibited by the statute or court order. We may share information about you with the educational institution, such as your name, barcode or pin, and the sports classes that you have attended.
Libraries. If we enter into a contract with a library, we shall (1) limit internal access to records of library patrons to those individuals that are determined to have legitimate interests; (2) not use the patron records for any other purposes than those explicitly authorized in our contract; (3) except for our authorized representatives, to the extent they are carrying out the contract, not disclose any personally identifiable information to any other party: (i) without the prior written consent of the parent or eligible patron; or (ii) unless required by statute or court order and the party provides a notice of the disclosure to the library and the library’s Board of Directors that provided the information no later than the time the information is disclosed, unless providing notice of the disclosure is expressly prohibited by the statute or court order. We may share information about you with the library, such as your name, bar code or pin, and the sports classes that you have attended.
Third-Party Vendors. We are not in the business of selling your personal information to others. We share the information that you provide only with our affiliated entities, to vendors that provide services under contracts with us (such as hosting companies and list managers), to fulfill your orders, to provide you with services you have requested, or for the specific purposes set forth below.
Successors. In the future, we may sell, buy, merge or partner with other companies or businesses. In the event of such a transaction or transactions, we may include your information among the transferred assets.
In addition, we may use or share your PII in the following circumstances:
Service providers. We have contracts with third parties to provide services on our behalf, such as credit-card and payment processing, shipping, e-mail distribution, list processing, analytics, and promotions. We provide these service providers with only the information that they need to perform their services, and we have written agreements that prohibit them from using this information in any other way or sharing or reselling the information.
Hiveclass service providers as of 12/13/22:
Amazon Web Services
Contests and promotions. We may display contests and promotions on the Website that are sponsored by companies other than Hive Class or that are co-sponsored by another company and us. Some or all of the PII that you provide in connection with such a contest or promotion may be shared with the sponsor. The exact rules may vary in each case but the specific rules for any contest or promotion will state how that information may be used. You can decide not to participate in the contest or promotion if you don’t want your PII to be shared, but you may not be able to participate if you chose not to share PII.
Google. Google’s advertising requirements are found here:
We have implemented the following:
- Remarketing with Google AdSense
- Google Display Network Impression Reporting
- Demographics and Interests Reporting
- DoubleClick Platform Integration
We, along with third-party vendors such as Google, use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookies) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) or other third-party identifiers together to compile data regarding user interactions with ad impressions and other ad service functions as they relate to our website.
Opting out. You can set preferences for how Google advertises to you using the Google Ad Settings page. Alternatively, you can opt out by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative Opt Out page or by using the Google Analytics Opt Out Browser add on. Please note that it may be necessary to disclose your personal information and your opt-out preference to third parties to allow them to remove or suppress your name from future solicitations.
Legal process and other special circumstances. We may disclose your information, including personal information, in response to a request from law enforcement, a subpoena, or a court order, or when we may otherwise be required by law. We may also disclose or use your personal information in special cases when we have a good faith belief that disclosing or using this information may be necessary to (1) identify, contact, or bring legal action against someone who may be violating our Terms of Service; or (2) protect our rights or property, including protecting against the misuse or unauthorized use of the Website; or (3) protect the personal safety or property of other users of the Website or the public.
Your California Privacy Rights
California’s “Shine The Light” law (California Civil Code Section 1798.83) permits California residents to request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, a list of the third parties to whom we have disclosed their personal information, if any, for their direct marketing purposes in the prior calendar year, as well as the type of personal information disclosed to those third parties. California residents may also request that certain information be deleted, but exceptions apply. California law also provides that you are not to be discriminated against if you exercise these rights. If you are a California resident and would like to request this information or opt-out of the sharing of your personal information with third parties for marketing purposes, please submit your request in writing to [email protected]
- Help remember and process the items in the shopping cart.
- Understand and save user’s preferences for future visits.
- Keep track of advertisements.
- Compile aggregate data about site traffic and site interactions in order to offer better site experiences and tools in the future. We may also use trusted third-party services that track this information on our behalf.
You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies. You do this through your browser settings. Since browser is a little different, look at your browser’s Help Menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookies.
If you disable cookies in your browser. If you disable cookies, some features will be disabled such as ecommerce functionality and other site functionality. This will turn off some of the features that make your site experience more efficient and some of our services will not function properly.
What about your privacy? The cookies used by us do not allow a person to be identified individually. Cookies do not contain any personal information so it cannot link you as a person to any name or surname. Only the IT system on which the cookie is stored can be identified via its IP address.
PROTECTING CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
Consistent with the Federal Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA), we will never knowingly request personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 13 without requesting parental consent. Only persons 18 and older may provide personally identifiable information to us. Persons 18 and younger may visit the website but may not register or otherwise provide any personally identifiable information.
If you are based in the European Union, the above provisions relating to children’s privacy generally apply to children under the age of 16, but this may vary across different member states.
If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future marketing emails, you do so by clicking the link on the bottom of each email and we will promptly remove you from ALL marketing correspondence.
General Data Protection Regulation refers to the specific rights of people in the European Economic Area with respect to how we collect and process personal data.In accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation you have the:
- Right to access information – You have the right to ask us for an overview of your personal data that we process.
- Right to data portability – You have the right to ask us to transfer your personal data directly to you or to another entity. This applies to personal data we process by automated means and with your consent or on the basis of a contract with you. We will transfer your personal data where it is technically feasible.
- Right to erasure – You may ask us to erase your personal data if we no longer need it for its original purpose, you object to us processing your data for our own legitimate interests or for personalized commercial messages, you withdraw your consent for processing your data, we unlawfully process your personal data, or a law of the European Union or a member state of the European Union requires us to erase your personal data.
- Right to object to processing – You can object to us using your personal data for its own legitimate interests. We will consider your objection and whether processing your information has any undue impact on you that requires us to stop doing so. You can also object to receiving personalized commercial messages from us. When you become an Hive Class client we may ask you whether you want to receive personalized offers. Should you later change your mind, you can choose to opt out of receiving these messages by using the “unsubscribe” link located at the bottom of each marketing email. You cannot object to us processing your personal data if we are legally required to do so, for example, if we are obliged to fulfill a contract with you such as shipping an order.
- Right to object to automated decisions – We sometimes use IT systems to make automated decisions based on your personal information if this is necessary to fulfil a contract with you or if you gave us consent to do so. You have the right to object to such automated decisions and ask for an actual person to make the decision instead.
- Right to rectification – If your personal data is incorrect, you have the right ask us to rectify it. If we shared data about you with a third party, it is our obligation to notify this change to the third party.
- Right to restrict processing – You have the right to ask us to restrict using your personal data if in your opinion the information is inaccurate, we are processing the data unlawfully, you have objected to us processing your data for our own legitimate interests.
- Right to complain – Should you not be satisfied with the way we have responded to your concerns you have the right to submit a complaint to us. If you are still unhappy with our reaction to your complaint, you can also contact the data protection authority in your country.
Your data controller is Hive Class Inc.
CHANGES AND UPDATES
Hive Class Inc.
5500 Sunrise Highway Unit 50-1014
Massapequa, NY 11758
Email: [email protected] or use the contact us link here.
Original Policy Date: